Sunday, January 25, 2009

To Worry or Not To Worry

WOW....I just got hit with some news that I'm not even sure what to do with. It seems that my real mother has been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. Now, we're not talking about the epitomy of healthy living here....she has never taken good care of herself. She's been a smoker for years, in fact, has even been diagnosed with Ephysema. Has she quit smoking? NOOOO. Her excuse is she's too scared to quit. Whatever that means.
I mention this news to my grandma who lives with us. She proceeds to tell me that HER mother (my great-grandmother) was borderline diabetic but managed it with diet. So now I have family history of it on BOTH sides. No one is/was obese or overweight.
Now I'm freaking out. I have not had a full physical in AGES....honestly I'm too scared that they'll tell me something is wrong with me. The only doctors I've seen for the last 5 years are OB/GYNS. OK, I saw a family practice doctor when I had a sinus infection. I just don't go for my annual physical.
I am by no means a "health conscious" person. I do not exercise. I eat way too much junk food. I love my sweets, soda, etc. So now I think I have a reason to be scared.
OH yea....and that's on top of the fact that my dad had cancer back in 1981. F'N lovely.

No comments: